Wednesday 11 April 2007

The here and now

Been fighting a headache that keeps threatening migraine proportions but ever quite gets there (never quite goes away either, worst luck.). In between feeling sorry for myself, I’ve been mulling over the imagery from “Last Star in the Kosmos” – forests and moonlight. Then there’s The City, which seems to encompass both, “dark and brooding, like a forest at midnight”.

So I was thinking… forests and moonlight, forests and moonlight, forests and moo…and then it struck me.

Of course! Kate Bush. Sensual World.

That wonderfully song, with Kate’s wonderfully fleshy lyrics. That beautiful video, staged like some beautiful naïve fairytale but with it’s bloody pulse banging in our ears. (Always very literary with her lyrics, our Katie even quotes Blake here! “Arrows of Desire” How could I not love it? Yay!)

Sergei, you asked me recently to name someone I thought was stylish and I couldn’t. Well then, Katie. She’s been a heroine of mine since childhood. A genuinely unique person, multi talented (singer, song-writer, musician, director, actor, dancer) and beautiful. I mean I wanted to BE her. I had the hair, the make-up, the crushed velvet (yikes!)…

This song is about sex to be sure (:D), but this song is also of the moment; of being so ALIVE in the here-and-now. Hmmm, yessss.

So for a “sensual” version of the “forest in the moonlight” tableau follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lwk-YVNl5Q


And now, the flip side of the coin, may I present Alec Empire.

How to describe him? West German Techno-Punk/DJ? He’s hardcore, also multi talented, a bit of an anarchist (you should like him then Sergei!), very political (left wing) and very angry.

Check out the next YouTube link for Ride – here (for me) is Sergio’s “gargantuan and sprawling” city, with it’s urban decay and existentialist angst.

You have to watch the (very rare) video to get the full impact of Alec’s tirade (he’s so cute when he pouts!) and you HAVE to play it LOUD!

I LOVE this track.
Tell it like it is, Alec! This song keeps me here, in the moment…
[WARNING: Explicit lyrics]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0zN6oiNdc


Axasha.

1 comment:

Sergio X said...

I was never a BIG Kate Bush fan, but she certainly is talented and beautiful and crafted some great music. What I did like about her was her feel for theatre and drama, her stage shows, I believe, were pure theatre. Her lyrics as well, can be really bang on and she obviously has great talent here.

Alec Empire, bit too techno for me, but I really loved this video,loved the whole jarring experience, first time I have ever heard the guy, though the name is vaguely familiar. He reminded me of System of a Down,for some reason, a band I was introduced to a few years ago. They are American Armenians and have a very strong sense of Social Justice, I love this line from their song 'Hypnotise'

"Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square Was fashion the reason
why they were there They disguise it hypnotize it Television made you
buy it"


Well no, fashion wasn't the reason, but I like the suggestion about how the media can and does subvert, but, of course, not only in China.

Thanks for the links again, you are such a mine of great information, well that is your expertise.