Thursday 12 April 2007

Norman Wisdom on steroids

Sergio,

Being as the blog's just thee and me at the moment, a bit of self indulgence...


Right. You’ll love this track. It’s really, really funny. A great song and a clever and visually quite Lynch-esque video.

Rammstein are East German and, unlike a lot of bands in notoriously juvenile “metal” music, Rammstein are grown-ups.

Ich Will - I Want - talk about a dark, dark, darkly comic comment on the absurdity of the media and our clambering for our 15 minutes of fame?

So, fame, celebrity, dying for your art…? Heh!

My fav’s Richard – the guy who “drops” the bank teller – but as I say, I really like Till too. A big, scary guy and onetime (almost) Olympic swimmer – he reminds me of Norman Wisdom. A humongous Norman Wisdom on steroids to be sure…

The leg brace is real btw, he’d not long been in a terrible car crash on the autobahn along with Richard (and their kids I believe! Till’s a single parent btw. What a man! >sigh<).

Check it out at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AapNrXJVjIA

Or, live at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Su-AMyiyw&mode=related&search=
Flame-throwers! Wheee!

Tell me what you think! The quality on YouTube’s muy crappy but I have this cd single if you want to borrow?
What can I say? I’m a sucker for pretty boys and power chords! :D

Can I post your comments on The Shuttered House? They were so good.

Axasha.

3 comments:

Sergio X said...

yes, of course feel free, no probs. My neck has been really sore today and now I have a headache, and no you didn't steal my paper.

Norman Wisdom on Steroids, like that...

Good luck with voices, I have more for you.

Sergio X said...

Had another look at this. I get it now, the whole media/fame thing, is really meaningless, it's there for anybody, from the dumbest blonde, male or female, or indeed pretty boy or girl, to the most notorious criminals.

I just heard about a guy who police and public proscecution service failed to proscecute for attempted rape because he was a medical student and they didn't want to harm his career.!

They'd put starving people in jail for stealing bread quicker!

Life, my friend, is the great illusion.

LONG LIVE RUTHENIA!

Ruthenia, Ruthenia, we love you Ruthenia...

All join in...

Axel Fraoch said...

I would suggest it’s even more subtle than that Sergei. *giggles*

I wont discuss the lyrics here but the video starts with the band being temporarily released from jail to receive an award, clearly to great acclaim – looks like a film/media category (there’s a camera on the trophy), then we shift back in time to see the violent act that clinched them this great honour.

Yes, the bank siege – Flake’s (that’s the keyboard player) suicide (by bomb no less, Classy!), and the other band members committing various gratuitously violent acts, killing and terrorizing people – is actually a piece of “installation art”. *giggles uncontrollably*

We see them, darlings of the media, signing autographs and giving interviews. Then there’s Till’s seemingly “innocuous” press conference – innocuous that is until it slowly dawns on us that his closing gambit has been to spray the room with bullets and kill them all (Well, you see one person crawling feebly away…) – how very artistic! ;)

Come on, be honest, how many times have you thought some media parasite deserved just that, a bullet between the eyes? :) Just kidding – obviously – I abhor real violence. I’m perfectly happy to see it used – as here by Rammstein – in a stylised, ironic, self-conscious way though, to make a point; to comment on the “values” of contemporary society. And contemporary art! *smirks again*

But then I can tell the difference – between real and stylised violence – and the downside of this kind of “thinking” video is that some of Rammstein’s airhead fans will no doubt see only the “cool” violence. But hey, you can’t blame a band (the artist?) for people’s stupidity.

The montage at the end of the video is a knowing nod to David Lynch – and again – with their collective tongues placed very firmly in cheek – visually reiterates that this video belongs in the arena of “arty”. Hmmm, wonder if they won an award for it?

They’re very subtle, those Rammstein boys…

Axasha.