Thursday 1 March 2007

BLACK HAWK DOWN

This Ridley Scott movie is probably as close to war as you can get without actually fighting. It covers an ill-fated US mission into war torn Somalia, a nation bleeding and writhing from the pain of civil battle. The Americans are sent in to capture several warlords with disastrous consequences.

Based on a true story, Scott, to his credit, is faithful to the actual events, including Todd Blackburn's 70 foot drop from a helicopter. He falls all the way to the streets of Mogadishu, crumpled and badly injured, his colleagues racing to the stricken soldier's rescue.

It is, for me, a wonderful movie of bravery and courage, of frightened young men, overcoming their fear to fight for one another against overwhelming numbers of Somalians. It is a
tremendously dark film that reaches into the very depths of compassion and comradeship. Isn't it strange, that to really bring humans together, despite their fear, in unconditional support, it takes a war situation? Aren't we all a little frightened after all?

Actually, I am quite fascinated by this period of military history and especially with regard to the chaos and anarchy of Somalia. To this day, some 15 years later the country is still tearing itself apart, and lesson learned, the US have kept their distance from the madness of this east African state.

Black Hawk Down, one of my favourite movies. Simple as that....

Sergio

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sergio, my bro in arms, you write so eloquently about this awfully bad passage in US history man. Ridley Scott made a movie, not a documentary, which was exquisitely filmed, worth mentioning. I agree great movee

Daniel Keep the faith bro

Axel Fraoch said...

Quick comment – I’m in agony but I can’t help mouthing off when it comes to films.

Saw this once, Sergei. I remember it featuring some actors I don’t rate (Josh Hartnett) and some I do (Ewan McGregor), but mostly I remember being quite upset watching it and knowing that I never wanted to watch it again. I suppose that means it succeeds as an anti-war film though, doesn’t it?

That and I’m a big girl’s blouse.

I’m curious to understand how this works as a “favourite” film for you Sergei. Does that mean you’d happily watch it over and over? Even with its grim subject matter and oh-so-realistic depictions of these recent horrors?

I require my favourite films to stand up to multiple viewings and to be more - how shall I put it - overtly life affirming?

But then I admit I’m shallow that way…

Axasha.

Sergio X said...

Well I am no film expert as you know Axasha, but yes I would watch this over and over. As I might have told you, this was tied into quite a bad car crash I once had.

Also, I hate to admit it, but I am fascinated by what we do to each other as human beings, especially in the most extreme of situations.

Life affirming? Undoubtedly my little friend. Even in the darkest of situations humanity shines through.

There is a great scene in the movie where one of the soldiers is terrified - poor soul - of going back to the front to try and rescue some comrades, but he knows he has too and he does. That was from the true story of the incident, and I thought Scott keeping that in said so much about how great we can be when the chips are down.

Do you think though it's a bit too dark?

Axel Fraoch said...

I suppose it all comes down to WHY we, as individuals, watch films?

I’ll admit I look to this particular art form mainly for escapism – I get enough of human depravity from the news. I’d be the first to agree that films such as Black Hawk Down can be infinitely more successful in communicating real horror, real emotion and real thought, than a BBC news report though - for all its stark reality.

This has always been one of the many functions of Art after all.

Still, I absolutely HATED watching it. Partly, I think, because of our closeness in time to the incident. There’s no cushioning effect at work here - as may be derived from watching even a brutally honest film about WWII, say, or the Roman Empire. There’s nothing wrong with that of course – it was a brave move on the part of Scott, I’m sure – but I AM uncomfortable with the thought of the families of these men watching it.

Hmmmm. Do I find it exploitative? Is that what I’m trying to say? P’ah! Dunno.

Anywho, in that sense films like this can never be “favourites” for me. I may find them interesting, thought-provoking, important, whatever – but being as they don’t meet my criteria for “enjoyment” (there, I said it) – I’m unlikely to return to them and this is what “favourite” means to me.

Axasha.

Sergio X said...

Yes, I take several of your points there Axasha and well made. Reading your thoughts is always thought provoking.

If I take Black Hawk Down on the artistic level, I thought Scott did a great cinematic job with the material. In that he evoked emotion, which is what, after all, all great art should do. He brought the subject alive, in a perhaps overtly gory manner, though I have to say there were scenes of utter stupidity in there as well, which made for a nice balance between the sublime and the ridiculous.

We are not going to agree on this one, I know, but would it surprise you to know that even I do watch films at times for escapism.

Sleepy Hollow was always one of my favourite childhood stories and the film didn't disappoint, though it was cliched and so on.