Saturday 10 March 2007

MY LIFE AS A COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO

MY LIFE AS A COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO
Second month of the blog and we have enjoyed some interesting posts. Did someone mention Ingres?

Let me tell you, however, there are people lurking in the shadows just waiting to make their presence known. You know who you are street poet! All told I reckon there are 4 people who have said and promised to post but who are obviously busily polishing their work for the consumption of others?

Also, after appearing in a blaze of glory and having some of the most positive comments on the blog Hayles has had to get her head down for some serious studying, but she will be back.
I noted that someone called Depe, another David, had commented, and Conductor 71 had also commented. In fact Conductor 71, from the safety of her own planet, whirring around in cyberspace somewhere, commented, and then ran off with the (drumroll, trumpet fanfare, cheers - the jeering is David G please ignore him he wants to win everything) Lyrics of the month competition without even posting. We work on democracy up here. She won an angel, you've probably noticed it by now Conductor, flies around a lot, can help you with your life, does good things - what? Flyswatter? You're joking me, right?

I also remember Axasha giving everyone a wonderful and fascinating art history lesson on a comment, please post these little nuggets of genius and let us all share! Could I suggest a monthly art history post, I, for one, would certainly volunteer to be part of that. Did anyone mention Ingres?

At this point can I share with you some really bad news? One of my favourite football fanzines (soccer to our American friends) My Eyes Have Seen The Glory is about to fold.

Dedicated to Tottenham Hotspur football club and written by dedicated and committed supporters after 15 years or so the magazine has come to the end of the road. I am now writing something for my friend in London with the death of the little venture very much in mind.
I have been to Tottenham Hotspur's super stadium in London and saw the team play, so it is a sad day.

So that's it. more Man From Uncle, more photography, more film knowledge, more art history. In fact let's start this week with more art. Good idea or what? I suppose, humble cough, stare at floor, try and look modest, that's why I am a comic book superhero guys......and, did anyone mention Ingres?

SERGIO

13 comments:

Axel Fraoch said...

*Sniggers *
Ingres? Isn’t he a little known second-rate portrait painter? Mind you, he does have a talent for rendering the shiny crispness of (sapphire blue) silk covered crinoline skirts, or the velvety smoothness of an alabaster cheek – right Sergei?

A monthly art history post?
Riiiiight… I can do that.
*gulps nervously *
Please know - my fellow furry komrades - that any opinions expressed in said post will be simply that – my own personal (less than?)humble opinions.
Art history’s not an exact science and I’m happy for people to disagree with me.

So long as they don’t mess with William Blake or Cecil Collins, that is.

Do that and you’ll find yourself in a world of hurt.

Heh! Just kidding! ;)

Axasha.

Sergio X said...

That is great news Axasha, and I mean that - hate to admit it - but I do respect your art opinions. And, as for Ingres, yes he is a bit more than 'just a portrait painter' you know how much I love to wind you up.

As for messing with William Blake - great poet - even I wouldn't do that and Cecil Collins, well I have had a look and he certainly is different, quite dreamy. I would have to look again, but is his stuff kind of mythical? Believe it or not I could be wrong.

Please include architecture, if you so desire, I am interested, though again, I know very little.

I am willing to learn, even from you Axasha!!!!

I have just realised this is very restrained for me!!! Mind you alabaster cheek and blue velvety skirts puts me in mind of a certain recent birthday card received???

Unknown said...

Actually, I would be interested in some pointers Axasha, and also about architecture, if you know anything about that.

There is a great Georgian section of Edinburgh round about Dean and Ravelston, fantastic area.

I like this area of the city.

Glasgow too has many great buildings.

Sergio X said...

Axasha, the Man From Uncle stuff you sent me was brilliant, can I post, please?

Axel Fraoch said...

Very kind of you to say so, EL.

Ah yes! Edinburgh New Town and the Scottish Enlightenment – Campbell & Gibbs, etc.

Good choice!

I know a little bit about Robert Adam so maybe I could make one of his buildings the subject of an architectural post? Or there’s my hero – Alexander “Greek” Thompson in Glasgow!

Again, I’m no expert but Neo-classicism IS one of my favourite architectural styles – the 18th century is an interesting period, a risky, tumultuous, revolutionary time in Europe and these intellectual/political advances are more than reflected in the arts.

A return to the Classical forms of ancient Greece (the first democracy after-all) and Rome was, I suppose, in part an attempt to bring “legitimacy” and a sense of “permanence” to the political/intellectual upheaval of the day.

With architecture of course, part of the problem is the proliferation of labels: Neo-classical; Palladian; Neo-Palladian, Georgian; Gothic Revival, etc., etc., - and the trend at the time for “revival” styles.

All very confusing!

Axasha.

Axel Fraoch said...

Seryozha,

Of course you can post, my man!

BTW, I'm far too much of a lady to mention birthday cards, your dewy cheeks and/or how good you would look in a dress! Oops!

Heh!

Now I'm off oot to get tanked!

Axasha.

Unknown said...

Axasha, that sounds so exciting, you seem to know what you are talking about. I studied English Lit, and yet I really liked art and design, you do some silly things when your young.

Unknown said...

Art, isnt it what you like, what appeals to the eye?

Axel Fraoch said...

First off, can I just say I’m a bit merry so please excuse any rambling on my part… *hic *

Yes indeed, Daniel. Absolutely.

Our aesthetic experience of a work of art can operate on many levels, and a purely visual response is entirely legitimate. You might take the view that anything can be called art – I’m thinking of the “found objects” of the Surrealists or Conceptual artists here. Common household items, driftwood and the like. Each beautiful in its own way. Or, taken to the extreme, the anti-art of the DaDaists, with their Urinal/Fountains. I kid you not! Google for it and you’ll see what I mean!

For me, garnering as full an aesthetic experience as possible is desirable. I would have to include some research into subject-matter; any overt (or otherwise) symbolism in the work; the artist’s intensions; the patron’s (if there is one!) remit, plus any other agendas (political!) associated with it; the socio-political/historical back-drop to the work; influences on the artist (some potentially unconscious), etc., etc.,

Does this all sound terribly prententious? God, I hope not. I just feel that Art is an incredibly powerful force – for good or bad, and I don’t think we can be naïve about that. Imagine liking the “look” of a painting only to do some research and discover that it was in fact a piece of Nazi or Stalanist propaganda. It’s happened to me! Once you had that knowledge you’d never be able to “look” at it the same way again. You’d certainly never hang it on your wall! Unless, in a VERY ironic way.

Axasha.

Unknown said...

Axasha, I was just going to bed, when I looked in and found some more wonderful stuff. Don't pretend to understand it all, but thought-provoking. Well done

Unknown said...

Reminded me of Sergi and his daliance with De Man the literary critic, he was a Nazi sympathiser and a former favourite of Sergi.

Sergio X said...

Axasha, you have a gathering fan club here, you'll have to give us a masterclass. You can teach me about Ingres - if I can pronounce it properly!

We could call it - Axasha's Art Masterclass! How does that sound, oh sainted one? Axasha D'Arc? Has a ring to it.

As for my 'daliance' with De Man, as El puts it, it was never proved that Paul de Man was a Nazi sympathiser. He was, however, a deconstructionist. I liked the idea of deconstructionism because it proved that most of western thought, what Derrida called 'Logocentric' thought, is politically motivated and makes value judgements from a very narrow perspective. I simply liked that idea.

Sergio X said...

As for pretentious, you Axasha d'Arc? Surely not ( a large chuckle and something short of a full-blown guffaw)