Thursday 22 March 2007

The Road To Darker Killingbeck

The dark woman, who reminded me of an older woman with silver darlings and peat and a clay pipe dangling from the corner of her mouth, stood aside and invited me inside. I stood in the poorly-lit hall and could see several men playing cards in the front room through the gap left in the half-open door. One, old and grey gentleman with a horrible green polo neck sweater, a thick white beard, a cigarette trapped between his yellow fingers - blue smoke curling and rising upward toward the ceiling - looked up, a frown creasing his heavy brows. He nodded, showed me the queen of clubs, grinned, his huge yellow teeth escaping from between his lips, but I did not respond.

The woman brushed past me and I caught the smell of her stale perfume, minty and spicy. She walked upstairs without another word and I followed, the stairs creaking as I ascended them.
"That's strange" I said to the woman. "I thought I could hear the ocean"
"You can" she smiled. "It's only 100 yards to the beach,and there are stars in the sky to guide your way. Beautiful stars." She smiled.
I frowned, I didn't know what she was talking about

She showed me to the room of teenage memories, opened the door and switched on the light.

It was a room with a solitary single bed, a poster of a football team above the head board, a football scarf casually draped over a chair beside it, a pair of football boots under the chair. A book on a small bedside table, an exercise book and a pen.

I moved to a long mirror by a second hand wardrobe and glanced into it. A stranger returned my gaze, was this witchcraft?

The stranger looked vaguely familiar, like an acquaintance from a long, long time ago. As I watched I saw that he was the life and soul, a carefree spirit who liked to drink and have fun, but then he was removing masques, one after the other, but in such a mesmerising way that no one could tell what lay behind. I noticed...and thought about it later when I couldn't slip into sleep... though he was at the centre of the party, he was also standing on the margins looking in. Always being someone else, which ever way you looked at it.

I was overcome by a strange feeling of poignant regret.

How much did I regret not being twenty years younger, how much did I regret not fighting the good fight then, how much did I regret taking advice from those who said they knew it all, but really knew nothing, liars, frauds and cheats, their hubris only matched by the depths of their ignorance, those and their offspring. How many lives will they be allowed to damage, learned idiots, qaulified clowns. How many artists will they dissuade from picking up a paint brush, how many writers will they dissuade from purchasing a pen, how many photographers will they advise not to buy a camera? How will they look to tick the correct boxes before giving encouragement?

The room was small, yet lived in. Here is where someone plotted to take over the world, someone who was just learning about deceit and injustice, who had learned not to trust and felt the abandonment of every teenager and wanted so much to find out who they were and have the maximum fun on the journey, who knew not what lay ahead and didn't care, tomorrow would always take care of itself, and death was a cul-de-sac for old people, and bungalows were naff, and prog rock was a poor excuse for music of the most self-indulgent and overbloated kind, and everything had to be edgy and raw and stripped bare of pretentions. This was someone who wanted to start walking, keep going and never look back. Someone who wanted to go where everything was an adventure and nothing could ever be foretold. Someone who held the fascination of the world in his eyes and wanted to know everything. But all he found was dissonant sound and the headlong rush and the mostly futile opinions of existence.

A growing crescendo of sound climaxed and was immediately followed by a solitary piano tinkling in melancholic minors in an empty room, but in the end, he was always doomed to contemplate how he had got to a certain point in his life a certain time in a certain era.

In the distance I heard a train whistle. A strange, plaintive sound rising into the night air, and I moved away from the mirror and to the window. From here all I could see were houses, high rise flats and an open concrete square, where several cars were dumped or abandoned and seemed to be rusting. Time flaking the fresh paint from the exterior, the inner workings decaying and falling slowly apart, oil leaking slowly in thick globular drips from a cracked sump.
I could hear too, but not see, great waves crashing onto rocks.

And, anyway...what was he doing here? And, anyway...what was I doing here.

A high pitched sound caught my attention, it squealed with energy and shrieked with pain and rage. The muffled sound of people calling my name...over...over...and over, mixed with unfamiliar voices, people shouting commands...

"I lifted a stick from my basket and he ran out into the road" I heard the old crone say.

Sounds which resonated and reverberated.

Until, at last, I drifted off to sleep.

12 comments:

Axel Fraoch said...

Oooh! Angry Man!
As the man said though, “Anger is an energy”.

I could be wrong but it seems to me there’s a lot of you in this, Sergei?
It’s very poignant and very brave.

Got the reference to the “exercise book” – lovely! - and I was mesmerised by the thought of, “beautiful stars” lighting my way… where?

Hmmm…Wherever you go, there you are?
Is that it?

“I could be wrong. I could be right.”

Axasha.

Sergio X said...

Oh yeah, well I don't know if it is anger, as such, a strong sense of injustice perhaps. Anger, as you indicate, is a very negative force, and, I think, I use these forces, feelings, emotions, as positively as I can. But I also like the idea of anger being transformed into enrgy.

Biographical, well, for any writer, it is always going to be biographical isn't it really? You can only really describe emotions as you feel them no matter what the situation. It's always going to be your interpretation of 'the experiences' you've had, even in fiction.

Yes, the beautiful stars reference points back to Marlowe from the last installment, but I don't know if it is brave. I don't think I am really a very brave person at all, and maybe for me it's working things out, unravelling what has gone to inform the future, and anyway who says any of this has anything to do with me? Maybe it's just another mask?

I do talk about injustice, and I see it happening all around me. Picasso said every child is an artist but we soon conspire to knock it out them. We judge so quickly, we label so easily. I had an interesting conversation with a man the other day who believed that the only way you get on in the world is by becoming the boss' bitch - now that might depend on who the boss is exactly - but, and telling the boss how wonderful he/she is? He was being serious, I felt sorry for him and the world, because there was an element of truth in what he said. To me this means we DON'T make progress because talent and merit are therefore not recognised, but, indeed, if you don't conform to this maxim, you're lost, it's only those who suck up to the right people who reach the top.

So that's where I went wrong?

From now on I am always going to respect you Axasha - the right people yeah?

Sergio X said...

Now let me think...revenge...ah sweet revenge, there I was a fragile, unloved orphan in the depths of misery and pain! And, no one cared!...Ah yes, revenge!

Sergio X said...

"Beautiful stars lighting my way...where?"

Anywhere you want to go?

Axel Fraoch said...

Actually Sergei, I think anger – when properly directed – is a good thing. We have to care enough to get angry in order for us to be motivated to change things, for the better hopefully.

I was quoting John Lydon (Pil) and thinking of William Blake.

Anger = Energy = Change

Without the energy of anger there can be no creative change.


RISE
(Lydon/Laswell)

I could be wrong
I could be right
I could be wrong

They put a hot wire to my head
Cos of the things I did and said
They made these feelings go away
Model citizen in every way

May the road rise with you
May the road rise with you
May the road rise with you

Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy
Anger is an energy (repeat)



Axasha.

Sergio X said...

Yeah, I wrote that stuff at 6=30 this morning, but I do know where you are coming from, there is a similar idea contained in a Sonic Youth song from the 80's, and I can't remember what one it was, something about no progress without anger.

I was totally thinking anger - negative, but, of course Axasha as you point out not necessarily so. Anger can be very positive and good thing. If we didn't get angry we would still have apartheid in South Africa. So I like that thought a great deal.

And, I have so much to say because I am angry about things. If I didn't bother and didn't get angry, would I write? And, then if I did, would it be about two sweet old ladies having afternoon tea in a quaint coffee shop discussing their younger days when they were librarians...sorry, did I mean barbarians...or is that the same thing?

John Lydon, working class London boy, of course, and very angry at the establishment, has now mellowed.

The one I like is Morrisey and the Smiths - sorry - belligerent ghouls run Manchester schools, spineless b$st$rds.... or something like that...says it all really.

Sergio X said...

I actually like that song, and, to me, it's a bit like the idea that there is a 'correct' way to do things, to speak, and behave and not have your shirt tail out, and that somehow means you conform and we can deal with that, and if you don't conform, then you must be suffering from some mental abberation or something.

Pierre Bordieux wrote stuff on cultural capital, a certain aesthetic promoted and rammed down the throats of those in education as if this could be the only canon of learning there is. Like Shakespeare, how he is always pushed and promoted as the best? Well who says? Troilus and Cressida, for example, originated with Boccaccio and came down to Shakey via Chaucer, so it is actually third hand...what is it the excellent Tom Lehrer says, Plagiarise, plagiarise and call it research?

"Please tell me that you trust me, cos pretty soon you'll disgust me" I paraphrase but I loved that one too, and Feeding Pigeons in the Park somehow appealed to my ...infantile?...sense of humour.

Unknown said...

Where have you been Axasha? Sergi, I'll have to read this again. On the outside your funny and witty, on the inside yo're dark. Interesting combination.

EL

Axel Fraoch said...

EL, you make me sound so interesting – pity I’m not really. ;)

Sorry I haven’t blogged in a while – family stuff. I’m sure you understand.
Speaking of which, my three year old nephew is staying with me this weekend. He’s christened me Frog.
A girl could get a complex you know?!

Axasha.

Axel Fraoch said...

Dammit.

Sorry - reverse that. I meant to type Sergei's interesting, NOT me...Sheesh.

Wishful thinking?

Axasha.

Sergio X said...

As you think I am a patter merchant you won't beleive me Axasha, but WE do think you are interesting...and Frog...it has a ring to it...sorry got to get back to my book of revenge....

Sergio X said...

I also have to add I have found some poems, written by my dad...quite excited about it. I knew he wrote, but this is the first time I've ever had a chance to really look at them.