Tuesday 27 March 2007

God Has Flown From This World

Axasha recently introduced me to Cecil Collins, a British artist born in Plymouth. Something about this guy's work - is it okay to call him 'a guy' or will the art world hold its hands aloft aghast? Anyway, something about this guy's work was quite appealing to me. I particulalry liked 'God Has Flown From This World' an interesting composition in a kind of sepia colour.

For me, this painting was slightly Satanic - an upside down crucifix, all the figures starkers, skeletal figure (which I thought might be the Grim Reaper represented) and a guy with a long white beard fleeing the scene (God perhaps?). Another figure in the background is holding a telescope and looking up to the sky maybe suggests astrology or astronomy, but wait just a minute...in the forefront of this painting are a man and woman. The man is holding the crucifix reversed and the woman is trying to cover-up her nakedness. Could this be Adam and Eve, and God, realising that humanity has lost its innocence, is retreating back home to Heaven?

All the figures are standing on a globe-like object with paths and other planets in the sky, so there is also a creation feel to this.

Well, really Eugene? Your playing your music too loud again child!

Just added that last bit because Cecil was a bit surreal.

3 comments:

Axel Fraoch said...

Hmmm, yes. Paradise lost?

Axasha.
You really like Cecil?!? :D

Sergio X said...

Yes, there is something about his style. It actually reminds me of reading Italo Calvino, don't ask me why?

Sergio X said...

You do realise when It comes to Cecil Collins and interpreting his work I haven't a clue what I am talking about. I just go by what I see, a bit like a blind man fumbling around in the dark.