Saturday 3 February 2007

ALIEN HAMSTER KOLLEKTIVE

TRACK OF THE WEEK

"Eels - Losing Streak" (From the album Blinking Lights and Other Revelations)

'Wished that I was dressed better ' is my favourite line from Eels Losing Streak from his classic double album opus Blinking Lights and Other Revelations. And, those of you who know me will no doubt nod wisely and know why I resonate with this sadly, melancholic line.

This is so - birthplace Geeksland - with a central character who is suddenly shedding his losing streak and asking 'Was I wrong about the world?/ It's a beautiful place.'

What I love about this cut, however, is the busy little piano riff and that wonderfully understated bass - it's just sort of there in the background furtively worming its way through space. It's actually a jolly little ditty with a smashing soaring little crash after the verse and pre-entry to the chorus. It has a carnival feel, laced with sad, minor chords, which drive it along through some astoundingly direct lyrics. In fact it is fairly simple song with all the contradictions and complexities of really great music.

'Always felt like giving in/To the feeling I can't win' is where we have all been with our ex-girlfriends -ex-boyfriends-ex-wives- ex-husbands and the dreaded bank teller with the ripped face and dyed hair. Like a refugee from a Stephen King horror novel, there she is behind her computer, smiling - I'll rephrase that - grinning - the bloody axe unseen by the hapless customer.

"Good morning, how can I help you today?" Inflated cheesy smile, tilt head 45 degrees, flash eyelahses.
"Oh yes, I wonder if you'd mind awfully pretty if you would be so good to change this cheque for cash?"
Whoomph - head chopped off in one movement...
"Eh...no, sorry we don't do cheques on a Saturday morning...read the small print freak! Next!"

You know who I am talking about...

SERGIO

1 comment:

Axel Fraoch said...

Think I understand, Serge. Certainly your sartorially challenged reputation precedes you. Levi’s®…? (Smirks) And will you PLEASE TUCK IN THAT SHIRT MISTER?!!!