Saturday 24 February 2007

MY LIFE AS A COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO

London just happens to be one of my favourite cities. I've spent quite a lot of time in the capital and I used to travel down regularly and stay with friends. Actually there are two particular areas of the capital I used to know quite well. Ruislip, including The Orchard pub and St Martins church with the little children's graveyard and the area around Euston, The Rocket pub and the British library. I also knew little bits of Kilburn and had another friend who lived in the Belsize Park area,

What I really enjoyed about going to London was a trip to the football at Tottenham Hotspur, or the dogs at Wembley and once, I recall, we travelled across the city to Walthamstow. You can say what you like but it is such an exciting city.

I can remember the ads posted in newsagents windows and in the old red telephone boxes, literary hundreds of them and sometimes left as little business cards 'Latino Massage- for all your pleasures call etc etc' or 'Madame Large Bosom, everything you have ever wanted - call etc etc for price list.' or 'Miss Whiplash dominatrix, exclusive black leather bound action!'
To be honest I found it a fascinating city, and when I went down I often stayed around the Hayes area, where I knew people.

As you can see the blog has been busy over the last month, and I have promises from two really cool friends of mine (actually any friend of mine is kool) that they will post soon.
Those who have posted have impressed with their intellect, dare I say it, wit and comments.
As for me the next two weeks stretching out before me are going to very busy. To begin with I have less than two weeks to complete 25,000 words - I'll tell you about it Rashaun - and deadlines for Sunday and Wednesday of this week. I am also working on a new little project, which has certainly captured a few imaginations and is coming along a lot faster than I anticipated. I have also offered my Christina Sealey interview, the Canadian artist to Derek Tucker at the Press and Journal and have one other little thing on the go - which I don't want to mention here at this little space in time.

In the meantime keep wearing your underwear over your day clothes and keep the crayons working...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I often visit London, more around the Camden area. Can't completey agree with you, it is a big stinking city, though I suppose it has some nice buildings. Been to the football at QPR and Brentford. I hate Sundays, wrecked last night and dying today.

Unknown said...

When is the next Darker?

Depe

Sergio X said...

Hi Depe, welcome to the hamsters, none of whom are sane by the way. Darker part 3 'Stranger in the Mirror' coming soon.

Axel Fraoch said...

Hiya Depe,
Welcome to the kollektive, komrade!
Hope you don’t mind a bit of abuse, ‘cause that’s all you get in this blog! Sob!

Axasha.

Sergio X said...

Oh no it's Axel Fraoch looking for even more pity??? Well ya aint gettin any from me.

Unknown said...

Rage against the machine Axel. Oooh, but do it quietly, my head.

Depe

Axel Fraoch said...

I should like to remind Serge that,

a) As an UNCLE agent I am trained in the use of lethal weapons...

b)I know where you live...

c) Conductor 71 has promised to provide me with an alibi...

Field Agent Axasha.

Sergio X said...

Point taken Axel Fraoch, I forgot you had that home made badge with UNCLE written in crayon on it - threedifferent colours as well, very clever - I just don't know what sort of childish mind would do such a thing!

Axel Fraoch said...

>Splutter<

For the sake of DePe's delicate condition, I'll say only this -

I'm currently consulting my Man from UNCLE ABC of Espionage handbook, planning my revenge with ruthless detachment (I've ice water running in my veins!)...

Sergio, cara mio, I believe you have a birthday coming up?
Da?
Revenge is a dish best served cold, hmmm?
I'll bid my time.

Axasha.
(Rubs hands together, plotting...)

Axel Fraoch said...

Oops!
The e fell off bide...